Today for top ten Thursday Tamara at Part-time Working Hockey Mom has asked us to list the top ten things people need to know if they want to add us on social media. Think “no chain letters”, I love puppy pictures, etc.
Social media, that thing that some people would not survive without now. Do you remember the days when we went without any contact with our friends because we were on holiday or they were on holiday, and we had to wait to hear what their week was like until we spoke on the phone or met up for a coffee?
Here’s my ten things you need to know to connect with me on social media.
1. Cats – I will often post photos of our cats, share funny videos and memes featuring cats, and encourage you to care about what happens to cats.
2. The Crowd Filter – something I used to tell student nurses is that you shouldn’t post anything on social media that you couldn’t shout out loud in a crowded place.
3. Don’t send me chain mail – I will not forward them and lots of these have viruses attached to them.
4. Follow then unfollow – this is something that is really annoying, when people follow you on instagram and then, when you follow them back they stop following you.
5. Spell Check – don’t just rely on spell check when you are posting things as if the word is still a real word your computer may not pick up that it’s the wrong one for the context.
6. Bad Day?? – please don’t just post random negative statements without saying what you’re talking about. Not only is it frustrating , but your true friends will worry until they know that you are okay.
7. Share – giving a bit of personal information in your social media posts can make people feel more connected to you and what you are sharing.
8. Be generous – comment, like, and share, or all three at the same time. If what you’ve read makes you smile or causes you to think about something then share that love.
9. The future – please don’t tag me in posts which are offensive or inappropriate as potential managers do look at social media so that they can see what sort of social media footprint is out there.
10. Did I mention that if you follow me on Facebook, instagram, or blogger, then fairly regularly you will be exposed to cats. If you don’t like cats then just shake your head and mutter under your breath about the crazy cat lady in the north of Scotland and move on. If, like me, you love our feline friends, then please stay longer.
What about you? Do you have really strict rules for connecting with people on social media? Until next time, have a wonderful weekend and connect with distant friends or family via social media.
Pamela & Ken
5 thoughts on “Top Ten Thursday – Social Media”
I agree with all of them, and I have noticed you like cats 😉 Speaking of, a friend of mine just got a puppy, and he reportedly peed in the cat's litter box – she was not amused!!!
Excellent advice indeed. Social media can be fun and it can ruin your career. You have to use lots of common sense.I love the video. So adorable.Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥
Hmmm, guess I should have posted me about rules and less about me…LOL! Nah…Thanks for dropping by to visit and comment. Love your list and agree completely!
Cats works for me 🙂 I love your crowd filter.
The biggest problem I have had with social media from the outset is knowing the tone of an email or comment. I have misunderstood some comments and have a!so been misunderstood. It is very challenging.