Scotland to Tasmania – a very long journey!!

Hooray, our holiday to Australia finally arrived! Cookie and Bramble might not be cheering so loudly about it as they both have to go on holiday as well. Bramble is staying with a family who have got a nine year old cocker spaniel and a ten week old cocker spaniel – they must be having a lot of fun with the three of them. Cookie has gone to a cattery that is like a five star hotel – it’s fabulous and I’m sure she’s having a nice time. We miss them both but it makes it easier knowing they are being looked after by nice people.

Our flight to Australia left from Glasgow, so before we even got on the plane we had 190 miles to travel by car. Because of how far it is we drove down the night before stopping regularly for a coffee break.

We stopped at the Kitchen in Carrbridge and I really liked these little people that marked the toilets – very cute.

After a very restful night in the Premier Inn next to Glasgow Airport we awoke to a very dreich day (wet & miserable) – I think mother nature was preparing us for winter in Tasmania. At least my luggage is bright and cheerful.

Ken was loving this old van inside the airport – advertising Tunnocks which is a company that makes very yummy biscuits in Scotland.

After the 7.5 hours to Dubai we then had nearly eight hours to kill, so after something to eat we found a couple of loungers and tried to get a bit of sleep – I think my beloved was more successful than me. We arrived in Dubai after midnight their time, and it was 38 degrees Celsius – when we stepped out of the plane to get on a bus it felt like we were in a furnace. During the day it had been up to 46 degrees – that’s way too hot.

For the sixteen hours from Dubai to Sydney we were flying in an Airbus – they are very big planes. When I commented that I don’t know how they get off the ground, my very reassuring husband (who used to be in the air force) replied “with great difficulty”.

During the flight to Sydney we had a very brief stop in Bangkok, literally getting off the plane, walking what felt like miles, going through security again, and then getting back on exactly the same plane. This is the view out the window as we came into Bangkok.

Inside the airport.

We had one night in Sydney to spend with my bestie Kierstan – not long enough but still good to have even a brief catch up. It doesn’t matter how many years, we’re always the same and I know it always will be.

My very gorgeous goddaughter Molly with their very silly dog Nelson – he won’t let go of the ball and walks around with it in his mouth for ages. Very, very cute.

A photo with my two godchildren which only happens when I’m in Sydney – Jake is my nephew and Molly is my best friends daughter – love seeing them and wish it could be more often.

Whilst Ken went and had a sleep (jetlag was catching up with both of us) Kierstan and I drank champagne and watched the film Bad Mums – it was so funny that there was no fear of me falling asleep.

The next day before we went to the airport Kierstan took us for a drive down to Dee Why beach as I used to live there (not on the beach but very near). The weather didn’t disappoint with a glorious clear blue sky and 21 degrees. This brought back lots of memories of the three years I spent in here – lots of fun times and making very good friends.

Sunny selfie – me, Kierstan, & Ken

ย We had a couple of hours in Sydney airport so found a great juice bar to give us a bit of a boost – anyting to overcome the overwhelming tiredness that strikes with jetlag.

After a flight of just over an hour we landed in Melbourne where we had another couple of hours to kill before the final leg of our marathon journey. By now I was needing a top up of my caffeine and sugar levels so we had a cake break.

I really like this decorated ceiling in one of the airport shops – it’s lots and lots of bottles suspended from a wire net.

In the departure lounge – we had already headed out to the plane once but got turned back because they were worried about fog in Tasmania. After a bit more of a wait, everyone in the lounge cheered when they finally let us out to the plane – it’s a twin propeller plane with only 33 seats and the final flight is just over an hour.

So nearly three days after we left home we made it to Wynyard, Tasmania. After a much needed sleep we went for a wander down the street (there’s one street with shops) and found these lovely photos that have been put up along one of the walls. They’re modern photos with vintage photos superimposed on them – such a nice way to remember our heritage.

We also found a great new cafe called Umami Cafe, so the two of us with mum headed in to try it out. It’s really funky looking with interesting art inside and fabulous (healthy) food based loosely on the paleo diet which is food that our ancestors could either hunt for or harvest.

Mum & Ken

ย Very scrummy Thai pumpkin soup – the food was very colourful.

Ken had a pumpkin and feta tart with salad that included petals from a blue flower – it really was pretty as a picture.

Now I have to admit to something – I’m a bit mean to my beloved in that I keep taking pictures of him when jetlag takes over. It’s the naughty little pixie on my left shoulder that keeps getting me into trouble. I can’t not share them with you but rather than putting them all separately here’s a collage of some of my favourites – sorry darling.

Now that we’re here it’s time to have many lovely days of fun which I’ll share with you over the next few weeks. Until then, be good, stay safe, and if you have a nap, make sure no one is around with a camera.

Pamela & Ken

4 thoughts on “Scotland to Tasmania – a very long journey!!

  1. Hi Pam – that length of journey will always be tiring and all the other hassles – but you've arrived. Lovely to see the photos and to see your godchildren. Bet you'll be having a wonderful time being home … just enjoy – cheers Hilary


  2. My goodness, what a trip to get there! Makes my 25 hour flight from here to Melbourne with only one stop to quickly change planes in LA seem like a dream. Glad you are home and enjoying the family. Then again, you have to make that return trip. Ugh. (p.s. I am really behind in reading posts and answering. I mean really behind in that I just read someone's April post I found in my email)


  3. Don't mention the return journey – I might have to take something to make sure I sleep through it all. Enjoying being here even if it's only for a little while. I always feel like I'm behind in my blog reading so don't worry at all.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s